Member Protection

Member Protection Officers

They provide information and guidance on complaints procedures and are the first point of call in the club for any enquiries, concerns or complaints about harassment, abuse or other inappropriate behaviour.

The MPIO provides information about possible ways to resolve the issue and offers moral support to the person who raises the concern or the person who is the subject of the alleged behaviour. The MPIO will treat all information as strictly confidential.

Reference – FNSW Child Protection

Working with Children Checks

The WWC Check is a NSW State Government requirement that applies to persons who work or volunteer with children (aged under 18 years).

It is a process that now requires people who work or volunteer with children to hold a WWC Number that shows they have had a WWC Check and are cleared to work with children with NSW.

Before you volunteer you should obtain your WWC

Obtaining a WWC

If you are a person who will be working or volunteering with children (aged u18) in sport in 2015, you will be required to provide your WWC Number to your club. If you already hold a WWC Number, you will need to provide it to your club.
If you do not have a WWC Number yet, you will need to apply on-line for a Working with Children Check so that you can obtain your WWC Number.

Step 1 - Apply for WWC

Complete the online application form with Service NSW.

If you are a volunteer, there will be zero cost for a WWC. If you are paid, you will need to pay a fee of $80, payable online at the time of applciation.

Step 2 - Attend Service NSW

To complete your WWC once successful, you will be required to show proof of ID (100 points) at any Service NSW branch.

Step 3 - Recieve WWC Number

Once processed, you will recieve your WWC number by email within two weeks.


Some people in sport are exempt from the WWC Check process and do not require a WWC Number. Those exempt however are required to fill out a FNSW Member Protection Decleration form. 


  • Persons under 18 years of age
  • Grounds persons
  • Guest presenters or speakers for a one-off presentation
  • Persons who work or volunteer with children visiting NSW from another State to attend an event where the work in NSW will be for no more than 30 days in a calendar year.

Not Exempt

  • Parents volunteering at an overnight camp or tour involving children under 18 years of age are NOT exempt
  • Police Officers, Corrections Officers and School Teachers are NOT exempt
  • Committee members are NOT exempt, even if their own child attends the club
  • Parents coaching or managing their own child’s team are NOT exempt
  • Referees are NOT exempt

FAQs and Further Information

What do exempt persons sign?

If you are exempt from the WWCC, then instead of providing a WWC Number to your club, you must complete a FNSW Member Protection Declaration and provide it to your club. Referees must also complete a FNSW Member Protection Declaration and provided it to their Referee Branch. Only persons who are in the WWC Exemptions list are permitted to provide a Member Protection Decelaration to their club instead of a WWC Number.
All persons who work or volunteer with children u18 in sport are legally required to provide a WWC Number to their club (unless they are exempt as listed above) - there are no exceptions.

I have my WWC, what do I do now?

Once you receive your WWC Number you must provide it to your Club. The club will then verify the WWC Number on-line and keep a record of the verification.

What are the clubs responsibilities regarding WWCCs?

Clubs must advise any person (over 18 years) in a paid or volunteer role working with children (U18) that they must apply for a Working with Children Check and obtain a WWC Number to be able to work or volunteer with children.
There are WWC exemptions and these are listed in the section above.
The person working or volunteering with children must then provide their WWC Number to their club. The WWC number should be provided at the commencement of their work/volunteering. If a person is unable to provide their WWC Number within a reasonable time or refuses to obtain a WWC Number then that person is not permitted by law to work with children.